Sunday, October 18, 2009

A House in Pictures


We met with the Draughtsman on Saturday - I was really excited; like Christmas waiting to open my presents. The morning seemed to drag but at 1.30pm we were all seated around the kitchen table with the paper versions and computer versions vying for space.

At first glance, WOW. At second glance, WOW. At third glance, WOW. At fourth glance ... what's this? Why is that there? Where is north? Where is the view? Where is north again? How do you get into the main bedroom? How big is the stud? 2.7. Does that mean it's more expensive? How high are the windows from the ground? ... and so on and so on.

Excitement warring with the practicalities of trying to imagine how this house in pictures would translate into a house of bricks and mortar, (and yes it will be bricks and mortar).

We all seemed to be on the same page and really excited by the possibilities and what the next step would be... Our draughtsman suggested that we take some time and think, relook, and really consider our needs at this stage of the build and get back to him. Well ...


I would have been completely happy with whatever after our current abode but give me some time and a license to consider my needs ... well, changes could become major.


Which is exactly what happened... the more I think about walking through Terry's office to get into the main bedroom, the more I realise that I'm just not going to be able to handle the mess that Terry's office would naturally be in. And to walk though it morning and night would put me in a bad mood first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening - probably not conducive to harmonious living. The more I look at the front door, the more I don't get why the back door (laundry) is right beside it... and nowhere near where a clothesline is going to be. The more I look at the hallway the more I realise that I don't need one. Expanding the family room would be a better fit for me. The more I realise how the plan would sit onsite the less and less happy I am with the position... and so on


I guess it's a good thing that the draughtsman insisted we take a few days to look it over ...

No comments:

Post a Comment